Your Best Hijab Moment?

>> Friday, April 27, 2012

Asalamu aliakaun, sisters!

That girl out there? She needs a little inspiration.There's a small voice inside of her, telling her to take that step..to wear the hijab. But a million other tiny voices saying that "It's too hard". Give her a reason to believe that she can do it and that it is not as hard as she imagines. Give her a little hope...a little inspiration

Share with us a super fantastic hijab moment....=)

I'll go first :D 


It was 8th grade and it was my second year of wearing hijab. There were 3 hijabis [counting Little Auntie and Little Miss Aunty] in the class, although we were living in a predominantly Muslim country [the UAE]. Anyways, alhamdillah, us 3 hijabis would get the best English grades...Well, the day of our English exam, I was talking to my Christian Catholic friend and she bashfully admitted that she had spent the day before studying, wearing.......................a hijab! She said "seeing how smart we were", she hoped that would rub off. =)


........




Your turn? :)

20 wonderful sprinkely thoughts:

Anonymous,  April 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM  

Many years ago I was living in a town in which I'm pretty sure I was the only one in hijab, and maybe even the only muslim at that time. It was not a friendly environment and I experienced a lot of negativity and even insults yelled in the street. One day I was feeling down in the dumps, and I was grocery shopping in some basic "comfort clothes" (default plain black abaya and a well loved spotted scarf). At the checkout there was a little girl, maybe 5 years old or so. She said to her mother pointing at me "Look mommy, that lady is so beautiful! Mommy, look at the beautiful lady!" Her mother was embarrassed and steered her away but it made my day. And still does.

The Baker's Daughter April 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM  

When I first decided to wear the hijab, I was about 13, and it was the first day of high school(group private tuitions rather than an actual school)in Saudi Arabia.
I remember thinking "Oh, won't my friends be surprised!"
I walk in to the room to find them both wearing colorful, beautiful scarves and for a split second, we were all dumbstruck, before we started laughing hysterically, including the other girls and boys in the group.
We all decided to wear it, and surprise each other- same day.
One boy joked "I wouldn't be surprised if our next classmate walked in wearing hijab" (the remaining classmate was a boy ;) )

HijabRockers April 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM  

(I don't know if this counts, but I wanna tell it anyway =))
I was awarded best student during our uni graduation and I was the only niqabi (and i wear the long khimar)in the whole uni. So when I went on stage to accept my award, lots of parents plus government officials VVIP that attended the convocation were staring at me like "no way... this is so against the uni rules".
So I got my trophy and have to give a speech. I said "Alhamdulillah, I'm so happy because I didn't get here because of my good looks" and everybody laughed. My fellow friends went "woot!woot!woot!woot!" cheering me. My mom was grinning and I could see her eventhough she was like 10 rows of chairs away from the stage front =)
So

Anonymous,  April 28, 2012 at 5:36 AM  

I was about 12 years old and we were getting changed after PE and I was putting my scarf back on . I being one of about five scarfed girls in the year. Well there were these girls who saw me putting it back on. This is back when i started to wear a scarf and I didn't actually use any pins just wrapped it and tucked it in . And They were on the other side of the room and they said how does she keep that thing on sort of in a mean way but there was genuine curiosity if only they had been closer and i wasn't such a wimp I would have said 'friction my friend , friction'

Anonymous,  April 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM  

Asalamu aliakaun :) I just want to say thank you so much to all of you! You have all inspired me more than ever to keep my decision to start wearing a hijab this summer. May Allah bless all of you and keep you all strong :)

IamSheriff April 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM  

When I started wearing hijab, my non-muslim friends would tell me that since then they feel like they have to behave properly, because when they do something not nice they are bothered by their conscience. That is really quite amazing right? SubhanaAllah. Also, I have this junior in the pub who would really bow his head when seeing me and greets me with salaam. My previous professors would greet me with salaams and would tell me that I should have worn my hijab back then in college. The secretary of the Office of the Student Affairs also told me that she liked the idea of wearing hijab especially when it is color black, because it gives poise and respect to oneself. Hmm another thing is that when we are taking exams, they would be teasing me that maybe the reason why I could get the answers is because I am wearing a hijab. So far that's all. :D

Muminah inshallah April 29, 2012 at 5:00 AM  

I live in the United States. On the first day of my Calculus 2 class, I took a little dua book to read while waiting for class. A boy next to me takes a glance at it and says to me, does it make you get an A in the class reading the Quran. He thought the dua book was the Quran. It made me laugh. I was the only hijabi in the class and alhamduillah, I did end up getting an A in the class.

Nazreen April 29, 2012 at 6:43 AM  

Assalamualaikum!
I started wearing the hijab when I was about 13 and now I'm 20 and still discovering the blessings in wearing it.
I used to wear the abaya and play tale tennis and football :D
Once I was attending a summer sports camp and after about a week (eating other guys :D) One of them comes up to me and say 'I really respect you for wearing it' It sooo made my day!
This semester we have cultural politics as a module and it involves a LOT of group discussion. Being the blabber mouth that I am , most of the class is me talking :D So after about 3 weeks into classes, one of my classmates(who happens to be a Christian) comes upto me and asks me if I am muslim. I say yes. And then he says 'It;s a real joy to see you speak in class. You can see the stereotypes breaking down in others' faces'. You can imagine how happy that made me! Alhamdulillah...may Allah give us all more opportunities to spread this beautiful deen!

khadijah April 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM  

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu! !!
Does Niqab also count ?? ;) the very first time I wore Niqab I was so nervous to go out in public!! Like my heart was beating but I had all the signs from Allah that everything was going to be ok alhamdulillah! I went to a huge grocery store with my husband and surprisingly I didn't get as bad of attention as I thought ! (is that correct grammar ?? Lool) I mean I ended up giving dawah to a lovely older lady at the checkout and she was staring at first at me and then commented on the henna I had on my hand and then she openly asked me about the burqa .. I was surprise she knew what it was!! We spent a good 10 minutes talking about the Niqab and she wanted to see the whole abaya and Niqab and khimar !! It truly was a nice moment that I had with her !! I look for her Everytime I go to
Get my groceries ! But haven't seen her yet!!
(pls excuse my typos if any, iPhone truly had a mind of its own subhana'Allah!!)

Xoxooxox
Khadijah!

Hawwa April 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM  

Salaam alaikum,
I am in first year of university in the UAE and when i first came here i was surprised to find out i was the only one who was constant with hijab (among all the other girls from my country). So one day only two of us came back with the 9pm bus from the university to the dormitory. A guy from khazakhstan was like please i should keep on wearing my hijab and not allow myself to be influenced because he has seen many people start wearing it and later on they just stop. I was blushing crimson on the outside. Moreover i was very happy to find out that in this 21st century there's still a man of his age on the surface of the earth who appreciates hijab and not nudity. Alhamdulillah :)

HudHud xox,  April 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM  

Asalamu alaikum sisters!!!

I've had many amazing Hijab moments - all of them teaching me how much of a blessing the Hijab is. The latest one was when my 'crush' stared at me when my Hijab lifted a little when I was sorting out the inside of it and he could see my neck because my school shirt wasn't done up to the top. It was only a bit but the guy looked like he had seen gold. I felt so exposed and felt like a piece of meat. That moment, I thanked Allah for the blessing of Hijab. I never realized how much it protected me till that moment. Especially because I always used to wonder if my 'crush' would accept me and love me if I was dressed like the rest of the girls. Yet I learned that your looks doesn't make a guy love you for who you are but for the piece of flesh he sees you as. And now I'm glad I'm not showing off my body in front of him ; )

Another amazing moment that brought tears to my eyes was when all my friends (I'm from the UK and I go to a public school with hardly any Muslims) decided to try on the Hijab. And they loved it!!!! They all ran to me at school telling me how much they felt comfortable in Hijab. I pray that they will be of the guided ones Inshallah... Ameen.

Lot's of Love to my Muslim Sisters!!!
xoxox

Little Auntie May 1, 2012 at 6:10 AM  

awww, I keep reading each story with a big grin on my face :)

Anonymous, you can do it, sis =) I'm really proud of you for making that decision, inshaAllah. May Allah make each day easier for you than the last. We're ALL rooting for you :)

Anonymous,  May 2, 2012 at 6:11 AM  

@Little Auntie, so did I! :D Didn't see this post earlier. MashaAllah, so awesome!

Syeda Asma,  May 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM  

i used to live in an islamic country and 25% girls in our class used to wear the hijab. one day i was talking about such stupid stuff to my non-hijabi friend(cuz there was nothing other to do). she cut me aff and was like, "you know, you impressed me soo much that even I am planning to start wearing hijab" and i was all grinning then..:P:P:P

Anonymous,  May 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM  

Salam aleikum ra rahmatullah wa barakatu =)

When I was helping the multicultural club at my college with a native american event we were having with native american drummers at school. During the dancing event (where we just walked around in a circle) I passed one of the drummer ladies and she said for me to stay there after the event and that she wanted to talk to me. So after the event I saw her, and she said that she was a Christian and that she learned about Islam and said that I looked so pure in my hijab, and she personally believed that God was bringing muslims to America to bring purity back to it! Isn't that so awesome?? And then she gave me her necklace, and said it was her favorite, I guess it's a native american tradition to give your necklace to someone if you like them or something. I still have that necklace and it reminds me to stay pure and be a good example in my hijab. =)

This is Mandy from MSU by the way (TSM now). I miss you!

Saba H May 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM  

When I decided to wear hijab I had graduated college and was working full time in the world of politics, a world where looks matter ALOT. Anyways the first week I wore it I got so many salaams from the people in the building where I worked that it shocked me! everytime someone said salam to me I was like "oh he's Muslim, Oh she's muslim too..." it was great mashAllah. It really made me feel safe and bonded with my fellow Muslims whom I didn't know existed till I wore the hijab.

Bintulislam May 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM  

Better late than never! :D While I started wearing hijab when I turned 18, it was this year, that my 'different' way of wearing hijab enabled me to share a funny story with you. See, I only care about covering my hair and not about presenting my hijab in a more pleasant manner and my mother thinks it's a mess, she refers to it more like how Pathan Laborer guys cover their heads in summer :P Also, I wear a hijabcap under my scarf, which isn't much commonly worn in Pakistan. Okay, so it was my Annual Viva exam at college earlier this year, I entered the HOD's office and I dunno why but the Invigilator who was a Hindu guy found my hijab very un-Pakistani and my accent very undesi, he kept on insisting that either I was from UAE or one of my parents was...you wouldn't believe, instead of asking me viva questions, he asked me one by one about my paternal and maternal lineages when I affirmed that I was a Pakistani who was born and raised in the country and nowhere else. It was quite funny since he strictly spoke English as if I wouldn't get Urdu. :D And yes, I did not utter a word in Urdu, just so I could escape more in depth questions on the exam subject. ;) :D

Anonymous,  May 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM  

I started wearing my hijab last year early June/July, I can remember when I went to my cousins home (who live quite far from me) and I felt very nervous. Me as well as my sister had decided to wear it at the same time, so it was nice having someone alongside me during this new experience.

All my cousins were really friendly and didn't in the least bit find it awkward that I was wearing the hijab- as no one within their immediate family does. Instead my uncle was like "You look lovely int your hijab, I love the blue glittery stuff"- ha ha it was too funny how he was trying to have a conversation with me about hijabs.

But one thing I found that really gave me the courage to wear a hijab was my School, I go to an Islamic (all girls) School and part of our uniform in the hijab. Mash'Allah I made some lovely friends there, and I also gradually got used to wearing the hijab which made it easier when it came to me wearing it out of School.


Sister Z

Anonymous,  May 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM  

I used to live in a non muslim country, yet, i never felt ashamed and is always proud to be a muslim. Though i spent a lot of hardships and criticisms, but that doesn't drive me to lose my self-confidence. I tried my best to be a top student in the class during my college days, now, i am a scientist and spending my time touring around places where i usually meet people from different races, cultures and religion. I collaborate with them through ideas and knowledge.
Since, I was the only one appealing to be distinct from the crowd, some of em ask a lot about my religion, and even got so curious about ISLAM.

This is my way of proving to people that "a hijabi" can stand out in crowd, and my way of spreading and inspiring them of my religion.

Anonymous,  March 31, 2014 at 12:31 AM  

I started wearing hijab when I was 15 during school holidays (I am 16.5 now), but it wasn't 'official' till school started. I was so scared because I had a big crush on an atheist boy for the past 3 years and I knew he would probably think I looked ugly etc., but Alhamdullilah I forced myself to be brave-he did ignore me for the first few weeks but later on we talked again. I wrote this bit is cause I think a lot of sisters in Western countries are scared of hijab because they think a boy won't like them, but always remember whatever Allah SWT takes away from you he gives you something better in return, and you should love to please Allah SWT more than any of his creation. Oh man I find it hard to choose 1 'best' hijab moments cause they are so many. After hijab I learned how beautiful I actually was, I used to vomit out my food almost everyday because I thought I was fat and ugly, after hijab (even though I was making myself less pretty) I truly realised people love your personality more than your looks(it is only stupid media that makes you think people only love you for looks), and you should guard your personality more than your looks. I also overcame my fear of public speaking because it helped me so much with Iman, I realised only person's opinion I should be scared of is ALLAH SWT because there will always be people who hate Islam or hate how you dress talk etc. Now I even with a few friends run a Muslim club at school and we do talks every week AND I got the highest mark in the grade for an English speech when only 2 years ago I literally ran out of the class to avoid speaking in public. When I go in public places people treat me like a lady, before I was just a kid, now I am someone with opinions, someone who has made decisions in life (i.e. Islam) and is brave to wear clothes which are not 'normal'- and people, Muslim or not, really appreciate and admire you for that. Not only that- they begin to admire Islam, they know the things you do are not 'natural' or 'normal' in society and you must have learnt it from something else- for example to not insult someone back when they insult you, to always return things you borrow even if it is the littlest thing like 1 pen or 50 cents. I find it especially amazing how males actually do respect and value women who cover their bodies more than the ones who don't, they are more willing to lower their gaze, speak kind words etc. ( it seems to subconsciously spread 'Muslim values' around). Another thing in my heart which makes me so happy is I think of my sisters in Islam and humanity who feel sad because they think they are ugly or fat and this is what makes them sad, I want to be a living proof that you dont have to be conventionally 'beautiful' and can still be happy and successful and smart in life, as all the sisters above proved. If you are scared of wearing hijab remember if you take one step towards Allah SWT he will take even more towards you, if you walk towards Allah SWT he will run towards you. This past year of my life has been the greatest one ever (PS you dont need to be 'religious' to start wearing hijab- hijab is many times the first step, and religion follows it naturally. I read somewhere if you pray 5 times a day, read Quran maybe 10 minutes a day, the desire to wear hijab will naturally come into your heart). sisters never be scared of showing what you truly believe in, because 99% of the world are scared of doing that, but we are Muslims and strong people and should always try to be the ones who are inspiring others (there was a quote by Rumi- 'try to be the least in need, because that in itself is the best form of giving'). SALAM!!!

Post a Comment

Asalamu aialkum!
Well, what do you think? You know, you're part of the team, as well. Please help a sister out and share your own advice/experiences/etc. One for all and all for one =)
P.S. I reserve the right to remove any disrespectful comment ;)

wibiya widget

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP