Pure or Impure?

>> Wednesday, January 23, 2013







This is a bit embarrassing, but I've got to ask you anyway. I'm a practicing Muslim (though I hate that term because I don't know how those who do not practice become Muslims). I usually pray the Duhr prayer at college during the lunch break, though there is no facility whatsoever. But I am so confused as to what to do when I accidentally get najas on me, for instance, when I get to the toilet a bit too late and there's this one drop of urine in my underclothes and I possibly can't change it from college. I reach home only late in the afternoon so if I don't pray from college, I miss the Duhr prayer in its allotted time. What can I do to solve this problem? I know others who hold back from Duhr salah at college because they have issues of vaginal discharge, and this answer might help them too. Please don't judge me for being so frank, but I desperately need your answer.

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah dear sister, :)

I know exactly what you mean. Discharge and najas can be a really big problem. I used to struggle with this issue during my freshman year of college, but after I asked scholars about this matter, things started to look up and I wasn't so worried anymore. And let me tell you...was that a big relief!

There are a few things I'd like to recommend to you. First of all, I'm really glad that you're not missing your Dhuhr prayer due to not having a specified place to pray. Alhamdulillah. :) Usually, at most colleges, you can probably find at quite corner or classroom somewhere.

"Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The first action which the slave will be called to account for on the Day of Rising is his prayer. If it is in order, he will have success and win through. If it is not in order, he will be disappointed and lose out. If any of his obligatory prayers are lacking, the Lord, the Mighty and Exalted, will say, 'See if My slave has any supererogatory actions and use them to complete his obligatory prayer.' Then the rest of his actions will be assessed in the same way." [at-Tirmidhi]


Secondly, about hurrying and getting some najas on you: the first thing I'm going to tell you about this is take your time. Try getting to the restroom earlier and so you don't have to worry about your books or bag, leave them with a friend for a few minutes or in your car if you commute.

Thirdly, I would recommend that you wear pantiliners during the school-day, in case you can't get to the restroom fast enough so you won't have to worry about najas on your clothes. These are lifesavers! And they're cute!

You could also buy Clorox wipes to wipe off the toilet seats if you want (my twin carries around a whole container in her purse!), and buy this Hygienna Solo Bottle so you can clean yourself with a peace of mind, not worrying about water splashing back up at you.

Lastly, I urge you to contact a (local) scholar/'alim about the dire issue of vaginal discharge and a drop of urine splashing on your clothes. There are rulings on both of these matters (they're not as limiting and constraining as you may think), but since we don't provide fatwas on this website, the best I can do is direct you to some articles and a website on which you can ask these questions. :)

Please check out the following:

Muslim Matters--Vaginal Discharge

Darul Iftaa

I hope this answer helped, inshaAllah!

Wassalam,

Apple Blossoms




5 wonderful sprinkely thoughts:

seekingpatience,  January 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM  

Yes, pantiliners are such lifesavers especially when I'm at college! I really recommend them.

Aziza January 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aziza January 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM  

I love how my sisters in faith don't shy away from asking or answering important questions like these! :) May Allah bless the asker and Apple Blossoms too. <3

Anonymous,  January 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM  

How do I ask questions here?

Anonymous,  February 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM  

I really like it when individuals get together and share opinions.
Great website, stick with it!
Here is my homepage : remedy for ringworms

Post a Comment

Asalamu aialkum!
Well, what do you think? You know, you're part of the team, as well. Please help a sister out and share your own advice/experiences/etc. One for all and all for one =)
P.S. I reserve the right to remove any disrespectful comment ;)

wibiya widget

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP