The Perfect Wedding Dress?

>> Thursday, September 5, 2013

I wrote this before my wedding by 8 days :)

The Perfect Wedding Dress
“Did you get your wedding dress, yet?” my friends asked.
You still haven’t gotten your dress, yet?” my well meaning relatives asked incredulously. 
Err....No....not yet....
Shock. Horror. “But what are you waiting for?”
“Well, the thing is...what I’ve come to realize is that, no matter what I get, there will always be something better...” My voice trails off.
My twin sister - aka Little Miss Aunty- looks at me knowingly and says, “Uh oh. Don’t start. Don’t tell them about your philosophy...”
But she’s too late.
I’ve already begun explaining my somewhat pessimistic philosophy....
“See, as a young girl, I have always dreamed of the white dress. I wanted something perfect. If I were to sum it up, basically the bestest, most MAGNIFICENT SPLENDID dress ever, that would magically transform me into a gorgeous diva, equal to, if not prettier than, any of the actresses from the ‘Woods (Hollywood/Bollywood). But now that I’ve grown-up, I understand that there’s a budget and limitations around me and I can’t exactly have the most beautiful dress ever. And even if I were to get that beautiful dress, something better would come along. And the thing is, once I do get my dress, it will be over for me. I’ll never have that chance again to look at all the choices and decide. And maybe that’s why I’m paralyzed right now. It just seems like I’m never going to actually ‘realize’ the dream....”
Mixed reactions of: “Ummm, are you okay?” “You’ve got a point.” 
And then I got: “ It’s getting late. You need to get the dress.” From Mr. Boss. Aka fiancé/husband...
And so...I got the dress.
There are still 8 days until I wear it. Is it perfect? Hmmm.... Is it pretty? I think so. Will I look beautiful on that day? I hope so. Is it going to last forever? No.
But in the greater scheme of things, I’ve had a somewhat greater epiphany.
I’ve realized that the dream was never of the white dress.
The dream was of jannah.
The dream was of a time when I would be completely and utterly beautiful and radiant...without any need of Keratin, creams, foundation or cucumbers or all that silly stuff we do/use to look our best. 
The dream was of a time when all my loved ones would be joyful. The dream was of a time when there would be complete serenity and bliss. No grudges. 
I was looking for paradise in that dress and in my wedding. And I think that in a way, many of us might fall into that trap, of misplacing our hopes and thoughts in a dress, a perfect spouse, the best job, the biggest house, etc.... The reality is that paradise does not exist in these things. Yes, we may find comfort, happiness and peace in these things, but they cannot and will not provide us with everlasting happiness and bliss. That, instead, is paradise. 
And paradise is the reward of submission to Allah. So if we hope to find a glimpse of paradise, we have to be searching for it in the worship of Allah. And so....I’m pretty content. I won’t have the perfect dress or wedding here on earth...but as believers, there’s always paradise to look forward to. And I hear the dresses there...are out of this world.
Love,
Little Auntie

16 wonderful sprinkely thoughts:

Unknown September 5, 2013 at 4:14 AM  

Wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

MashaAllah and Mabrook on your wedding/marriage. <3

Asmaa

fatimah September 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM  

Wa alaykumussalaamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

I am so happy to know that you will get married soon. I was a little bit worried that this website is not so active like before(something happend to you!?).
Now I am relieved and I am sure you will make wonderful family with the dhikr of Allah.

Along with that, Jazaki Allahu khairan, for reminding us the truth objective/ideal of the life.
My duaa will be with you, Little Auntie.

Little Auntie September 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM  

wa'alykum as salam wa rahmatullah wa barkatoo,
Jazakillah khair Asmaa and Minji! :)
Minji, yes, I signed the nikah in March and I had my wedding in August...So I was a little busy. Hope to be getting active here again, insahallah...with all of you sisters' help :)

Anonymous,  September 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM  

im soooooo happy for this new post, alhamdolillah =D
keep this place running, okay? Love you loads, for the sake of Allah =D

Umm Inaam September 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM  

Ma sha Allah! and congratulations on your wedding, (dear) Little Auntie! May Allah give you the best in this world and the next!

Fida Islaih September 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM  

Congrats Little Auntie!! Thanks for sharing this <3

Nasreen =),  September 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM  

CONGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS. OH MY GOSH, WALLAHI SOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR U! HAVE THE HUGEST SMILE ON MY FACE, while reading this. SUBHANALLAH! That you are getting married, I hope you and your spouse are granted the best of the dunya and akhirah, may you be protected from all evil and harm, and may ALLAH s.w.t bless you with his special mercy, and may you both dwell in tranquility and love with one another. INSHALLAH AMEEN! =)

Nasreen,  September 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM  

MASHALLAH! AS WELL!

Umm Teem September 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM  

Barakallahu feekyyy!!!!!! SubhanAllah!! OMG!
Am so happy for uuuuu!! :D

Haha. I think i understand how you feel there :P

Uhibbuky fillah :)

Anonymous,  September 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM  

Mashaa Allah, Mabrook, Congrats!!! I am soo happy for you sister. Reading this brought such a huge smile on my face. May Allah(s.w.t) bless you in your new life and make you marraige a marriage build on Taqwa, Mawadah(love) and Rahma( mercy). May it be sakoon ( tranquility, peace) for both of you. Ameen Ya Rabal Alameen. Jazakumullahu khair for sharing this wonderful news.

seekingpatience,  September 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM  

Oh Mashallah!!! Mubarak. That's wonderful news!!! And a great reminder about being level-headed about the wedding dress. :)

Little Auntie September 7, 2013 at 4:27 AM  

Asalamu aliakaum, sisters,
Ruya, Anonymouses, UmmTeem,Fida, Nasreen, and seeking patience jazakum allah khair for your beautiful duas and kind words. Thank you for sharing in my happiness and for continuing to visit here <3 It's great to have amazing sisters around the world!

seekingpatience,  September 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM  

Since you just had a wedding party (mashallah), any tips on how to have a fun-filled yet appropriate wedding and how to avoid the pitfalls when planning the wedding? That would be great.

Much love <3

M A X I M U S September 9, 2013 at 12:01 AM  

Asalamu aialkum! Wooohh! Little Auntie, this just brought smile on my face... and a little speck of tear.. I feel like my sister is getting married or something... MashaAllah! I am soo happy for you! I wish You all the very very best.. and we'll pray for you,! MashaAllah!!

-Wearing the widest grin ever ;'D

Anonymous,  September 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM  

Perfect wedding dress for a perfect auntie! MashaAllah! Mabrouk! ;O

Little Auntie September 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM  

Jazakun Allah khairyan girlies for your love and support! It really means the world to me =)
Seeking patience, I'll be writing up a "post" to reply to your comment! It'll be short but I want other sisters to add their input, too, inshaAllah...

Post a Comment

Asalamu aialkum!
Well, what do you think? You know, you're part of the team, as well. Please help a sister out and share your own advice/experiences/etc. One for all and all for one =)
P.S. I reserve the right to remove any disrespectful comment ;)

wibiya widget

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP