I want to see the Prophet in my dreams

>> Thursday, January 30, 2014




Last Ramadan, one of the times where my faith was at a high point, I saw a dream in which and father were carrying a huge red and white rock which they finished cleaning and polishing. They said ,"do you want to see the face of prophet Muhammad in this?" And of course I said yes, and when I looked into it I saw a man with little to no hair and extremely bright blue eyes. He also smiled back really kindly at me. He didn't match the description of the prophet at all, but something about him really stuck with me since. About two weeks later I saw another dream, where I was allowed to go past the golden gates of the prophet's grave with ease ( they just lifted up) and find his tomb, which was covered in all kinds of incredible, dazzaling jewels. I put my face on it and started to weep, but I remember it felt really nice- it was one of the nicest feelings I've ever experienced. I haven't seen a dream like that since, no matter how much I ask Allah for it, and I really, really want to. I even try crying in my fuss to get it to happen. I'm scared I'm starting to lose my faith in Allah because of everything that's been happening to me so quickly. Is there anything I can do to see the prophet peace be upon him again in my dreams? I feel like if I did it would give me the strength and the hope to keep moving forward. Can doing istighara make this happen?


 Dearest Sister,
 I'm so sorry that right now you are really down and your faith is down. I understand that last year, you had two dreams that really helped you and strengthened your faith. And you're hoping for another dream. You just want to restore your faith. I understand. You're trying soooo hard to get that dream again- to have that feeling of peace in your heart- you've said you've even tried to cry on purpose. And now you're wondering if istikharah will let it happen.

 I wish I could tell you: Yeah! That will do it. But unfortunately, istikharah is about asking Allah to decide for you between two choices. While many people associate it with having a special dream afterwards, that's actually not necessary.

 As the scholars have said: It is not necessary in the case of istikhaarah to feel something specific afterwards. Rather if you consult people and think deeply about the matter, and it becomes clear to you that this matter will be beneficial both in religious and worldly terms, then you should pray istikhaarah and go ahead, and not wait for a sign or a dream or a feeling. You should rather put your trust in Allaah and go ahead after praying istikhaarah. The correct view is that when Allaah makes something easy for you – after having decreed it and accepted your du’aa’ – this is a sign that it is good to go ahead and do it.

Again, it's about asking for Allah's help in some matter that you're not sure of (even if it's something tiny). I've prayed istikhara numerous times and I've never seen the prophet sallah Allahoo alyhee wa salam in any of those times.

 I know that was probably disappointing to read.

But the truth is that...well, there isn't really a shortcut to seeing the prophet in your dreams OR to restoring your faith. Both of these require action, dedication, conscious effort, and work.

 I mean, let's look at your own question. You mentioned that when your faith was HIGH, you had those dreams. You can perhaps think of them as a reward from Allah for all that you had been doing.

 I once heard an interesting story where a young man asked his scholar how he could see the prophet in his dreams. The scholar told him to spend the entire day eating salt and to not drink any water. Although the young man didn't really understand the advice, he followed it. The next day, he went to the scholar, really angry. He said, "Imam, all I dreamt of last night was water. I kept seeing oceans and oceans of water." The scholar told him "You see, your dreams are a reflection of what you're doing and thinking about all day. If you want to see the prophet, live through his example through out the day! Pray the sunnah prayers. Eat like the prophet. Remember his manners with his family. Remember how he treated others. Imitate him. Read about him. Learn his hadiths. Say the adhkhaar. Live your day by his example and then hope to see him at night."

 But wait...don't close the browser yet. I have good news for you.

 If seeing the prophet in your dreams would inspire you to be a better person, what about knowing that the prophet sallah Allahoo alyhee wa salam prayed for you? That he made dua for YOU?

What about the fact that he thought of you as his own sister?

 As is narrated by Abu Hurayra, One day Prophet Muhammad (sallah Allahoo alyhee wa salam) came to the graveyard and said: O dwellers of the land of believers! Peace be upon you. With God willing, we will also join you. Then he sighed with longing and added, How I miss to see my brothers! The companions beside him said, O Messenger of God, are we not you brothers? The Prophet replied, You are my companions; my brothers have yet to come The companions asked him: O Messenger! How will you recognize these people from your community who have yet to come? Whereupon, the Prophet asked: If someone has a horse with white signs on the forehead and the feet, can he recognize it among black and gray horses? The companions replied:Yes. He said, “They (my brothers) will come with white streaks from their ablutions, and I will receive them at my cistern. 


 If seeing the prophet would inspire you, what about seeing Allah subhanoo Wa' Tala? I'm not saying that we will see Allah in our dreams...but the reward of the believers is to see Allah in the afterlife.

The Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “When the inhabitants of Paradise enter Paradise, Allah will say to them, ‘Do you want Me to give you anything more?’ They will reply, ‘Have You not made our faces bright? Have You not brought us into Paradise and moved us from Hell?’ Allah will then remove the Veil and they will feel that they have not been awarded anything dearer to them than looking at their Lord.”


 Remember, hunny, you can't see Him, but He sees you! And He's watching you right now. He's All Loving, All Merciful, All Compassionate, Ever Grateful. He's prepared jannatul firdaous for you! "

(It will be said to the believers of Islamic Monotheism): 'My slaves! No fear shall be on you this Day, nor shall you grieve. (You) who believed in Our ayat (proofs, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and were Muslims (i.e., who submit totally to Allah's Will, and believe in the Oneness of Allah). Enter Jannah, you and your wives, in happiness.' Trays of gold and cups will be passed round them; (there will be) therein all that inner-selves could desire, and all that eyes could delight in and you will abide therein forever. This is the Jannah which you have been made to inherit because of your deeds which you used to do (in the life of the world). Therein for you will be fruits in plenty, of which you will eat (as you desire)." [Al-Qur'an 43:68-73]

 So now....how can you restore your faith? We've had a couple of posts on imaan. Please do read them here:

Fed Up of the Roller Coaster Ride

Boost that Iman!

With love,
Little Auntie

0 wonderful sprinkely thoughts:

Post a Comment

Asalamu aialkum!
Well, what do you think? You know, you're part of the team, as well. Please help a sister out and share your own advice/experiences/etc. One for all and all for one =)
P.S. I reserve the right to remove any disrespectful comment ;)

wibiya widget

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP