Her Precious...

>> Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Asalamu ailakuam wa rahmatullah wa barkatoo.


Guest post today by sister Ria. She shares with us the story of the year she lost everything...


Over one a half years ago, I felt like I lost everything. I lost a man that I planned to marry, I was sad not because of he was dead, but because the timing, it was so close to the date and I felt like my dreams was vanished (well, we are woman, a bit dramatic). And friends asking how I feel over and over didn’t make me better. A month after, a huge earthquake hit my city, I lost my business. We got no electricity and water. I have to do the laundry down to the hard flowing river, and take the clothes back up. And my visible skin (face and hands) got so dark, I felt like a zebra. We slept literally outside the house on a mat because earthquake still came to shock us, and to see half parts of the city were destroyed, we didn’t want to be in the house for too long before the contractors said it was safe. So, yes, I felt like I lost everything. I didn’t have money on my own, beauty, comfort, and exact future plan, also if it can be said ‘love’, I lost a loved one too.

Interesting to remember how I didn’t cry much, pretending to be so stupidly strong and act like I could handle everything. More interesting is at that time, I felt like I lost everything so it was a perfect time for me to really practice the theory “happiness is a choice”, “sadness is merely a concept”. Feeling that I have another thing to fight for, my future and my sanity. Everybody was worried about me, even I heard my mother cried to my father, “I’m afraid Ria will go crazy, this is too hard for her”, and listening to my father’s answer really lift up my self esteem, “I raised her to be strong, she is not a weak woman“. There’s nothing we have is truly ours I learned it the hard way. But alhamdulillah, at least I still learned something Allah has been too kind.

That’s why I am so attached to this lecture, the lesson that I learned from it just beyond amazing. Please do watch,



I quote from this lecture,
The statement of Umar bin Khattab r.a, when were tested we were grateful for 3 things,
1. This trial wasn’t in our deen.
2. This trial is not as great as it could have been
3. that Allah subhana wa taala allowed us to be patient in that trial.

In my place, there is a place where there in un-exposed war between two major religions in our country. Not everybody knows it, but we do. It is hard to be a muslim there, I don’t have to explain, I’m sure you know about Palestine, that’s how it looks like. I don’t think my iman is strong enough if I was to be faced with choices to defend my life or defend my religion, astaghfirullah. And that time, I kept reminding myself, this is not that hard, I can get through this.

Few days after the earthquake, we came to know that there was a man, he had 4 children and all of them died. He only found 2 of their bodies. It makes me sad, to know what happened to him, he is now in mental hospital and I am grateful that what happened to me was not that hard. May Allah make his wife strong and grant him with recovery.

It was hard, but I am grateful that I didn’t put myself into traps that will make everything worse. I am grateful that my family was stronger during that time and really being supportive to each other. Allah subhana wa taala had made it easy for me to be strong, stronger than everybody thought I could be.

This morning, I was reminded by the lecture again. A facebook page shared this story.
Al-Hasan ibn Arafah narrated, “I visited Imâm Ahmad ibn Hanbal after he was whipped and tortured. I said to him, “O Abu Abdillâh, you have reached the station of the Prophets!” He said, “Keep quiet. Verily, I saw nothing more than people selling their Dîn. And I saw scholars that were with me sell their Faith.
So I said to myself, ‘Who am I, what am I. What am I going to say to Allâh tomorrow when I stand in front of Him and He asks me, “Did you sell your Dîn like the others did?” So I looked at the whip and the sword and chose them.


And I said, “If I die I shall return to Allâh and say: ‘I was told to say that one of Your Characteristics was something created but I did not.’ After that, it will be up to Him – either to punish me or forgive me.”


Al-Hasan ibn Arafah then asked, “Did you feel pain when they whipped you?” He said “Yes, I felt the pain up to 20 lashes then I lost all feeling (They whipped him over eighty times). After it was over I felt no pain and that day I prayed Dhuhr standing.”


[In fact he prayed as the blood soiled his clothes.]


Al-Hasan ibn Arafah started weeping when he heard what had happened. Imâm Ahmad questioned him, “Why are you crying? I did not lose my Îman. After that why should I care if I lose my life.”

Goosebumps and waterworks… This is very inspiring ♥

Alhamdulillah wa syukur bini’matillah, I do not lose my iman. May Allah subhana wa taala make it easy for us not to have deep attachment to this world,not to love this world too much because real life is later in Hereafter.

Make dua for me people! Much love! ♥

6 wonderful sprinkely thoughts:

Anonymous,  May 10, 2011 at 6:20 AM  

Salam alaikum, Aunties...
Reading this post here, makes me feel that it is written by someone else. Alhamdulillah it is all passed.
Things passed, the best thing we can do is to really let burden go away by also never forgetting it. Balancing.
Letting go changes perspective, forgetting loses the lesson. Ahhh, I feel wise lol

Btw, you got a butterfly award.
http://rialive.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/new-page-award/
I love your blog, you really deserve it, mashaAllah :)

HijabRockers May 10, 2011 at 7:16 PM  

MashaAllah, thank you very much for this article. SubhanAllah. I love it a lot.

Anonymous,  May 11, 2011 at 4:14 AM  

<3 Beautiful. So inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

dawnrose May 11, 2011 at 4:43 AM  

This is so beautiful, it moved me just so much. Thank you for sharing, my dear sister. It makes me feel that most of my pain is like a grain compared to you all.

You're not kidding yourself. You really ARE strong, and when you believe that nothing will shake you as long as your iman is not shaken, you can stand strong. Keep believing!

Lots of love and dua's to you. I hope you will continue to be a shining inspiration to us all. Just remember that when you wake up in the morning, you know that not only Allah is Watching and Loving you, but us Muslims who have read this article are hoping the best for you, too. Always, Insha'Allah.

Umm Khaleel May 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

Masha Allah Sis Ria, Jazakillah khayr for sharing your personal struggles.. You are such a strong sister subhan Allah! Whenever I hear stories of such trials, I try to place myself in their shoes and wonder whether my faith be firm enough to overcome those obstacles. I'm reminded however of the verse in the Qur'an where Allah says He will not place burden on us more than we can bear.. He knows that you will come out a stronger Muslimah through those trials! Having eemaan at the end of it all is the greatest blessing one can have..

Iqra,  June 13, 2011 at 9:51 AM  

Thank you for sharing this. Your personal reminders and the knowledge that you sought to help you handle it are very strong and appropriate. I am glad to hear that "it has all passed" for you :)

Post a Comment

Asalamu aialkum!
Well, what do you think? You know, you're part of the team, as well. Please help a sister out and share your own advice/experiences/etc. One for all and all for one =)
P.S. I reserve the right to remove any disrespectful comment ;)

wibiya widget

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP