Sweat Free?! Eye-brows and I bow!

>> Wednesday, July 7, 2010



Is it really a big deal if I get my eyebrows done? I just don’t get it. I
feel like everyone around me sweats the small stuff. At the end of the day,
am I going to go to hell for shaping my eye brows? I mean, come on.
Really?

Anonymous

Dear My Little Sweat-Free (yay, you!) Anonymous friend,

You’ve asked a great question! You might have noticed that on the side of my blog, I made sure to write that this is not a ‘fatwa blog’- however,don’t you fret your little self! Little auntie is still going to ‘answer’ this question, but I’m going to do it without damning anyone to hell or promising anyone heaven, either.

Let’s start off by taking a look at this very famous hadith:


Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle (Sallah Allahoo alyhee wa salam) said, "A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that."
(Book #54, Hadith #538)

Haha, bet you thought I was going to put the eye brow hadith. No, not yet! I know, it might seem really strange to put that hadith- you might be thinking, “See, that’s what I am talking about. Islam is soooo easy. Why is everyone complicating it”, but wait.

Wait. Don’t be too sure.

Read this…

"You thought it to be a light matter while it was most serious in the sight of Allah."[Al-Noor, 24:15].

Chilling, isn’t it? If you don’t know what this verse is referring to, it’s discussing the people who ‘spread’ the rumors around during the Ifk incident. Those people thought it wasn’t a big deal, but Allah Subhanoo Wa’
Tala ..He thought differently.

Okay, so what am I trying to get at?

Basically that our judgments of an act is ‘incorrect’. See, most of us would imagine that the prostitute would be ‘unforgivable’…we’d also think that ‘gossiping’ isn’t such a big deal. In both cases, we would be wrong. Deadly wrong.

The truth is that sometimes, we think something is small, but it really isn’t.

The thing about eyebrows is everyone knows the hadith clearly states that the person who does their eyebrows will be thrown out of Allah’s mercy (cursed).

Yes, now it’s time for it…

Al-Bukhaari (4886) and Muslim (2125) narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: May Allaah curse the one
who does tattoos and the one who has a tattoo done, the one who plucks
eyebrows and the one who has her eyebrows plucked, and those who file
teeth for the purpose of beautification, changing the creation of Allaah.

Is that something small?

Do we really want to risk being wrong?


Let me ask you this- do you have a tattoo? Why not (if you do have one,
forget this q, LOL)? Their ruling is in the very same hadith…

The way I see it is this—a person might not go to hell simply because of ‘doing their eyebrows’ if they recognize that they are sinners/feel bad/but keep succumbing to temptation (and boy those eyebrows can really tempt aperson to do them!). But if a person has a dismissive attitude of what Allah likes/doesn’t like, then…the person might be in trouble. It shows signs of a ‘heart that isn’t that pure’- it’s like you’re putting yourself in His place, deciding what deeds matter and what don’t. We obviously do NOT have that right.

Finally, let’s imagine if you went to a restaurant and ordered a cake, and you specifically requested that they did not put icing…and then, the chef put icing. Would you have the right to be displeased? Although
Allah subhanoo Wa’ Tala is of course above Comparison and not like His creatures, my point is that He has clearly warned us/requested us to refrain from doing our eyebrows and implied He would be displeased….doesn’t that count a little? Shouldn’t we think about that?

So, to sum it up? Am I saying that 'cleaning' your eyebrows are haram? That's actually not what I am addressing here (you can check a fatwa site for that). I am addressing though the idea of 'us' dedicing what 'Allah will judge us on'...

And in the end, I say, clip your little eye brows of the r, and tell your "I-brows", to "I bow" to Allah. Ask Allah to beautify you with not perfect eye brows but true beauty and Nur from Him; ask Him to make your face radiate with imaan, inshaAllah. And remember...

Say, [O Muhammad], "Shall we [believers] inform you of the greatest losers as to [their] deeds? (103) [They are] those whose effort is lost in worldly life, while they think that they are doing well in work." [Surat al Kahf] 


17 wonderful sprinkely thoughts:

Anonymous,  July 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

Salaam alaikum sis!
Mashallah i enjoyed your post! Really! Alhamdolillah I've been eyebrow sober for a couple of years LOL but reading your post further strengthened me! JazakAllah sis! :)
You have a wonderful blog!
Keep it going ^_^

NeverEver July 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

mashaAllah beautiful explanation! I try to keep explaining this concept to my mother whose favorite argument is "Don't you believe in the mercy of Allah!?! Surely he will forgive you if you don't wear hijab." :-/ Perhaps I should have her read this post.

jazakillah khair sister for your work and sincerity :-)

Abez July 8, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

JazakAllahuKheiran, lovely post and very straightforward without condemning anyone to hell at all! :p I only stopped doing my eyebrows within this last year, and it was hard before I finally conceded that obedience to Allah was more important than me thinking my eyebrows looked 'wrong.' After all, Allah doesn't make mistakes.

And look forward to you getting back online. :)

athoofa July 8, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Dear little aunty,

Hehe I know you may not see this right now because you are travelling but I still want to add a little comment here...

Love this advice column dear... lovely post and sooo beautifully written mashaAllah. May Allah Protect you and reward you with the best **hugs**

LoOOooOoOoveee you loads! And missing you already!!! Come back soooon

Signed,
Your little neicy weicy ;)

Rania@FashioningFaith July 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

just found your blog. It's great and I love it... You are so sweet and wise :)

Xenia July 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

Mashallah this was written so well, Jazakillahu khair for sharing! and love your new blog :)

Blue Pearl July 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM  

Great post - love this "And in the end, I say, clip your little eye brows of the r, and tell your "I-brows", to "I bow" to Allah. Ask Allah to beautify you with not perfect eye brows but true beauty and Nur from Him; ask Him to make your face radiate with imaan, inshaAllah."

Little Auntie July 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

Wa’alykum as salam wa rahmat Allah wa barkatoo,
Wow!! What a wonderful surprise to finally get Internet and see such sweet comments. To be honest, I was expecting people to disagree with me on this post, so I was really touched with all of your wonderful replies :D

Splendid Sky, I adore the expression ‘eye brows sober’. I wish I’d thought of that, hehe. May Allah strengthen us all and keep us firm on His path. Hugs to you :D

Never Ever- Jazaki Allah! First, I want to say Ma’sahAllah, to you. It sounds like you wear hijab and your mother doesn’t and I can imagine how ‘different’ and ‘difficult’ it must be. People like you are my heroes, actually, Ma’shaAllah, Ma’shaAllah :D

Second, a lot of us fall into that trap-whether it’s hijab/eyebrows/listening to music/etc. We think well…He’s the Most Merciful, anyways, isn’t He? But SubhanAllah, the second verse of surat Ghafir (or the Forgiver) comes to mind: The forgiver of sin, acceptor of repentance, severe in punishment, owner of abundance. There is no deity except Him; to Him is the destination.

InsahAllah, also I will try and keep your mother in my dua.

Abez, Ma’shaAllah, to you, for stopping! I absolutely love what you said—Allah doesn’t make mistakes. Now that is beautiful and very deep! Your concession, “before I finally conceded that obedience to Allah was more important than me thinking my eyebrows looked 'wrong”, inshaAllah, may just take you to paradise.
Athoofa- I’m so glad you came and visited me here—so that you can also offer your wonderful advice, inshaAllah!

Rania- sweetie, Jazaki Allah koli khair. Don’t know about the wise part. I think I still haven’t gotten my wisdom teeth, hehe.

Xenia- awwwwww, you always encourage me, sis. It means so much to me!

Blue Pearl, Jazaki Allah koli khair!

Bubbli July 15, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

asalamu alikum lil' auntie, mashAllah ur blog is fannnnnnnntabulousssssss, i love it so much, i've read most of ur posts, even tho i'm usually too lazy to read long posts but u are, like someone said above, wise mashAllah. I am sooooo glad i came across your blog and will be following for sure! you have a great way of writing which is simple and convincing (and long lol) but i love that you post daleel (proof) for everything you say, and i love the icing on the cake example. alright i've rambled enough, but let me just say may allah swt reward you for your efforts to help us all, Jzk allahu khair, wassalaam :)

Little Auntie July 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

awwwwwwwwwwwww, Bubbli, Jazaki Allah sweetie, for your sweeeeeeeeeeeet comment!! I'm so sorry the posts are sooo long but I appreciate it so much that you read them....Hugssss!!

Maryooma,  March 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM  

My dear dear lil auntie, i have a teeny tiny question, thing is, erm, my eyebrows are pretty think and join in the middle too, hehe :P , and sometime ago i read somewhere that we can remove things from our face that may be look too "masculine" (referring to the joining in the middle) so erm is it okay if i remove the middle part that joins above my nose? and plus i am a kinda a regular eyebrow cleaner (as in not giving it the perfect shape but just so that my face appears neat i remove some "extra" eyebrow hair).. is it okay? what do you think? Plus after reading your blogpost above i will try my bestttttttttttttt InshAllah to not give in to my temptation and not get my brows done. Truck loads of love for you and hugs! <3

Little Auntie March 28, 2011 at 3:16 AM  

Hey, Maryooma, I know what you mean...I also heard that it's permissible to remove the hair in the middle (like if you have a 'unibrow'), but I'm not sure about removing extra hair. You know, I really don't want to give you my opinion and I'm either making something halal haram or making something haram halal..it's tricky business, right....So I tried to look a bit for you though. I didn't find much...these are the only fatwas I found:

http://www.fatwa-online.com/fataawa/womensissues/beautification/bea003/0000206_14.htm

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=136627

^ I hope that they help you out a bit. :)

And may Allah reward you immensely for taking this step to come closer to Him.

Truck loads of love right back at ya, :)

Marium Jamil,  March 28, 2011 at 6:36 AM  

My oh my, you are sucha shining star. I am just going to read it. Jazakillah!!:) :) :)

Anonymous,  July 6, 2011 at 1:40 AM  

eyebrow really eyebrowssss!!
eyebrow shaping is haraam and killing innocent people isnt ?

Little Auntie July 6, 2011 at 2:18 AM  

Sister, killing innocent people is haram. Who has ever said otherwise?

Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely . And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. (5:32)

Sister, Islam does not permit killing innocent people.

Please read- "Kill Those Kaafirs??"

http://dearlittleauntie.blogspot.com/2011/02/kill-those-kaafirs.html

I promise you it won't take you more than 5 minutes....

Anonymous,  February 29, 2012 at 5:17 AM  

MashaAllah, I Love The Way You Answered That Question! JazakAllah,, =)

Anonymous,  June 20, 2012 at 4:33 AM  

Jazak'Allah Khair for this lovely post, your blog is addicting, hehe


short_sister

Post a Comment

Asalamu aialkum!
Well, what do you think? You know, you're part of the team, as well. Please help a sister out and share your own advice/experiences/etc. One for all and all for one =)
P.S. I reserve the right to remove any disrespectful comment ;)

wibiya widget

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP